- Teen, adult and family programs are featured regularly at the Largo Public Library.
- Programs are free and open to the public.
- Programs which compliment the Largo Public Library's mission and goals may be co-sponsored with local clubs, businesses or institutions at the discretion of the Library Director.
- The decision to co-sponsor programs will be based on the program's educational value, public interest, credentials of the presenter, previous working relationship with the organization and program presenter(s), and programming space availability.
Teen Room Rules
- Any patron is allowed to enter the Teen Room to look at and get books. To stay, the patron must be 12-18 years old, who are currently attending grades 6th-12th.
- To use the computers, the patron must be 12-17.
- Profanity, loud conversations, running, fighting (and play fighting), threatening, kissing, fondling, tapping windows, standing or sitting in furniture or any other behavior in violation of the Library Code of Conduct is NOT allowed.
- Teens in violation of the rules will be asked to leave the library.
- Patrons may use the library phone in order to call for a ride. The staff member must remain present and should dial the phone number for the patron.
- Teens may move chairs around within reason. Only one person per chair is allowed.
- Patrons may request the front TV to be turned on and may request any cable channel listed. The cable is set up to block any R or unrated program. Staff may not override if channel is blocked.
- Teens are welcome to request any listed board games to use in the Teen Room when a staff member is present.
- Chalk for the chalk wall is available at the service desk and may be used when a staff member is present.
- Teens may not leave personal items in staff areas (service desk and staff office) nor may staff accept care for any patron personal items. Volunteers during volunteer hours are the only exceptions. Staff is not responsible for these items.
- Teens may request their library card number only if they can produce a photo I.D.
- A patron's personal internet time may be extended only if there are empty terminals available.
Teen Volunteers Overview
- Volunteers must be between the ages of 12-18 and in Middle or High School. This includes home schooled students. No exceptions will be made.
- Court/Legal mandated community service requests are NOT accepted.
- All volunteers are required to fill out a Library Teen Volunteer Application.
- An interview is required that will determine if the teen will be accepted to do volunteer work.
- At any time, it is at the staff's discretion to relieve a volunteer of their duties.
- Volunteers must sign in before and after each shift.
- A number of opportunities are available teens to volunteer at the library.
Teen Volunteering Opportunities
There are many options available for teens to volunteer at the library.
- Please apply online or stop by the Teen Room to pick up a volunteer application.
- A minimum of 20 hours is required to volunteer at the library.
- Ages 12-18 may apply (effective Oct. 1, 2018).
- No longer accepting volunteers, check back in April.
Detailed job descriptions:
- Program Help: We have many programs for adults, teens, and children. Volunteers may help with set up, craft instruction, puppet shows, and many other activities related to library programs.
- Shelving: Volunteers that choose shelving will most often be putting away books in either the Children's Department or the Teen Room. This is the most flexible volunteering job.
- Program Planning: A number of programs are presented at the library by teens for the younger children. This program planning group helps initiate ideas, create activities, and participates during the programs on the day they are scheduled. Note: Program Planning is not available during the summer months.
- Teen Library Council (TLC): This group that meets twice a month for 2 hours each meeting, discusses Teen Room policy, the young adult book collection, safety concerns, ideas for new programs, improvement to existing programs, and how the library can best meet the needs of our teen patrons. Note: TLC is limited to 14 members each year. TLC is not available during the summer months.
- Teen Readers' Advisory Board (not available during summer)