Becoming a tutor for the English Language Learning program benefits both you and your community.
- Complete the tutor application.
- All volunteer tutors complete an eight hour Tutor Training course before being matched with a student.
- The classes are taught by a professional ESL Instructor and are moderated by the library's ELL staff.
- In the Tutor Training course you will be instructed on the use of a variety of teaching techniques, including demonstration, role-play, the use of multimedia aids and working one-to-one with your student.
- Tutors must commit to meet with their learner two hours per week for a minimum of 6 months.
- Classes are held in private study rooms in the library.
- Meeting times are flexible and can be arranged to fit the schedules of tutors and students.
- ELL Literacy Collection provides a wide range of materials to assist tutors in structuring their classes to meet the needs of individual students.
- Tutor reports can be submitted online.
- Reserve study rooms online.
- Meet with the ELL Librarian to discuss learning materials, needs, teaching strategies.